Background 575

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Corn, corn, and more corn

This year, my family in Lynndyl grew a lot of corn.  They invited us down to pick, shuck, cook, cut, and bag it.  Our kids have never had the privilege of doing it and I believe it is good for kids to be involved in "family work" together, so we jumped at the chance.  We really hyped it up before going so the kids wouldn't "catch on" that it was work.  Hard, boring, tedious work.  I just knew the day would be full of whining and tears.  I am happy to say that I was proved wrong!  They LOVED it!  We didn't hear a single word of complaint and we were very impressed at how hard they worked!  They even said they couldn't wait to do it again next year!

By the time we got down to Lynndyl, it was about 8:30am.  We got a truck and several buckets and headed out to the "farm".  John and I picked the corn and took it to the kids who sat in the back of the truck and started shucking the corn.  When they found their first caterpillar, they came running to us all excited.  They were sure this was very unusual and very exciting!

After we were done picking, we drove over to some shade and John & I helped shuck.    We played music and talked and laughed the whole time.  It was a lot of fun!  John thought it would be funny to trick the kids into thinking he loved eating caterpillars.  He would pretend to eat them and had them fooled.  He made me go along with it, even though it made me sick to think about them believing he really ate one.  We got done with that around 11:30am.

Then we cleaned the cobs and made a HUGE pile.  I cooked the corn & transferred it to the table and John & the kids cut the corn.  My sister Jamie got home from work around this time and helped cut & bag the corn.  After about 10 hours of work we finished!  We got 70 bags of fresh yummy freezer corn!  It was worth all the hard work!






1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Good for you guys for getting your kids involved like that!

    ReplyDelete