Background 575

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A glimpse into the mind of our 4 year old


 Jacob is such an interesting kid.  I cannot figure him out.  I think we were blessed with him & his personality just to prove to me that I don't know what I'm doing.  With Jayden and Ashlyn, things were going so well.  They LOVED to sit down with me and read and learn.  I figured I just knew what I was doing.  Along came Jacob and suddenly my parenting manual got thrown out the window!  He never wants to sit down with me and learn anything, unless it has to do with technology, like the computer or the wii.  He refuses to let me teach him the ABC song, he just sings it how he wants.  For the most part he does good, well from about A till G, and then it's hit and miss.  [For example (he just sang this to me), abcdefg kikialalpqrscuv, now I know my abc's...]


Then there's another side of Jacob that completely blows me away.  He is a deep thinker!  We were eating lunch together and he was drinking some milk.  He took a drink and then sat there thinking.  He turned to me and said "mom, where does the milk go?"  I said "In your tummy."  He said, "No, how does it stop from going to my legs?"  I realized he was asking what catches the milk so I explained that your stomach catches it like a cup.  He said "Ooohhh."  I could tell a major light bulb clicked on for this kid and I was seriously impressed by his deep thoughts.  Then, again to prove me wrong, he said "Milk doesn't go to my bones" (He saw an x-ray of bones in a leg so he thinks bones are only in legs) "only the bananas do."  I have no idea where that came from!


We are doing a neighborhood preschool this year and are teaching the kids the Pledge of Allegiance.  Jacob wanted me to teach it to him.  I was completely blown away!  He actually wanted me to teach him something!  So, we worked on it when we were driving in the car.  Then he started noticing all the flags while we drove.  He decided to say the Pledge whenever he saw a flag.  I never knew how many flags there are around!  This kid can spot any flag within 2 blocks, usually faster than I can.  We were out running errands the other day and he said the Pledge 12 times, believe me I counted, within 1 hour of driving!  After he had the Pledge memorized, I decided to see if he would let me teach him the ABC's.  NOPE!  Absolutely not!










Thanks for keeping me on my toes Jacob!

4 comments:

  1. I had a hard time teaching Morgan the ABC's too, until my sister told me to buy the Leap Frog ABC video-she learned it in 2 days listening to that-plus all of the sounds too! We don't have the actual DVD just a burned copy but you can borrow it if you want to!

    ReplyDelete