Background 575

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Success!!

My main New Year's Resolution this year was to get in shape & lose weight.  I am now ready to share my success this far.  I have lost 14 pounds!  I have lost 1 pound every week I have been actively trying!  It has been super hard and slower than I thought it would be.  But, I am still working at it!  I haven't quit!  My goal is to run in a 5k this year.  This is a HUGE goal for me.  I have never been a runner.  Ever.  I have always hated running.  I am now, this month, to the point that I don't dread my workouts.  That feels great!  I don't enjoy it at all, but I just do it!  I was surprised how long it has taken me to increase my running.  I am finally to the point that I am running more than I am walking.  I can't imagine moving up again.  Johnathan keeps telling me we are all different and it just takes longer for some people.

I also didn't expect so many ups and downs!  For the first 4 months I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride.  I was super motivated one minute, feeling like I could run a 5k right then, and 5 minutes later I was ready to quit (and I'm not exaggerating AT ALL!).  I think I'm finally over the worst of it.  It definitely helps that I've lost a good chunk of weight and can feel the success!

I have learned a lot this year about what to do and what not to do.  I know I should not buy Gusher's, Swedish fish, or Butterfingers when they are on sale because I have no self control when they are in my house.  I do need to have healthy snacks around.  I know I cannot make an excuse for why I shouldn't exercise on my exercise day because I will just keep finding excuses. 

I do need to thank Johnathan for his help.  He really sacrifices by taking all the extra treats in our house to work so they wont tempt me.  I know it's hard to be a supportive spouse, but someone's got to do it!  Seriously though, does anyone else have a spouse that doesn't have to worry about what they eat?  Johnathan can eat WHATEVER he wants and he stays the same weight, which is super skinny.  He doesn't have to run every week and can pick up right where he left off 3 months ago, running super fast for what seems like forever.  It sort of makes me mad.  He knows this too.  But, I still love him :)

I mostly wrote this post so I could be accountable to someone.  I know this summer is going to be hard on me.  We have a lot of fun activities planned, like camping and traveling.  I need to keep going!  I still want to lose 15-20 more pounds.  I am almost halfway there!  I would also appreciate some positive feedback or tips :)


10 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jana! It sounds like things are working out however you do them. I have a friend who eats 200 calories every 2 hours and she has lost a lot of weight. Maybe that could help you during the summer. Like don't deprive yourself of the camping treats, just calculate what 200 calories is and only eat that as a snack. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli. I'll just have to try to pack healthier snacks for camping. Thank you for your healthy post a while ago. It really helped me!

      Delete
  2. That is so awesome! Congratulations on your success thus far. The results really are the sum of making small choices consistently--and sometimes that is the hardest. I was doing pretty well for a while, but have slipped a bit. Now I am inspired to more consistently make those good choices. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about the small choices and being consistent. It was super hard at first, then just hard, and now it's a little easier. Thanks for that running program. I have had to go super slow with it, but I am now ok with that. As long as I'm doing something that's what matters.

      Delete
  3. Way to go! It's so hard to keep up things like that. I know I was doing so well a couple of years ago, and then I faltered again.

    About the 5K -- I ran my first one a year and a half ago, and it was fun! I mean, it was grueling as well, but the energy that surrounds a race is so much fun. Everyone is just pushing to do their best, but it's just great. Anyway, you should keep that goal. It's a good one. . . and now you've got me thinking that I need to do that again. You're success is motivating to me. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeMira! Congrats on the cute baby! I was glad you posted last time because I found your blog again. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Good job! You are an inspiration to me. I have a wedding coming up, you know! The only advice I have is just keep doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! It sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Do you have a running partner? That helps make exercise something to look forward to. But all I really have to say is keep it up, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, maybe that's not all I have to say. As far as a running partner. . . it seems like I've talked to so many people in the neighborhood recently who have never been runners but have started. You should definitely ask around!

    ReplyDelete