Background 575

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Doctor Visits

I took the boys to their well-child check-ups today.  Good news is they are both healthy and developmentally on track.  Whenever the Doctor checks their weight & height on their growth curve, I always cringe.  This time was no exception.  Our kids all measure small.  For the most part, they always have.  Except for their head size.  They all have large heads, like at least 75%, usually in the 90th%.  That means they're smart, right?  Thank you Dutson genes for the large heads... 

Jayden weighs 58 lbs. which is 10% and he is 4' 6.5" for height, which is 40%.  The Doctor didn't say too much about Jayden's weight this time.  I think he's had so many lower percentile numbers for a while that they just figure he'll always be small and it's nothing to worry about.

Jacob weighs 33 lbs, which is 3% and he is 3' 5", which is 13%.  This time, compared to a year ago, he dropped down off his normal curve, which was 25%.  The Doctor said that he should be up 2 lbs from where he is and I should try to have him eat more protein.  Ummm...  I am cursed with picky kids.  I have no idea what I am doing to encourage this.  I make dinner and tell the kids they can eat what I make or go hungry.  Everyone tells me they will eat if they are hungry, but mine don't!  They just go hungry!  I don't make weird foods, I try to give variety and make it kid friendly.  I swear it's just something in their genes.  But, I am finally learning to accept a couple facts in the Allen household.  We have picky eaters.  We have small kids.  Thank heavens for adjustable waist bands AND slim sizes!  And, fyi, we do both as in I buy slim sizes and cinch up the waist band so they'll fit.  We do what we have to do  :)

Just an update on Ashlyn too.  I took her a few weeks ago to her ear doctor for a 6 week check-up on her ears to see how they are healing from the surgery.  We were both (probably more Ashlyn) hoping she wouldn't have to wear ear plugs anymore for baths & swimming.  We got some bad news...  For her surgery, he patched the hole in her right ear.  Then he was going to do a temporary patch on the hole in her left ear and hope it would work.  During surgery, he found that the hole in the left ear healed itself so we didn't do anything with that one.  Well at the visit, he checked her left ear first and she has a new hole.  Then he checked her right one and found a new hole also.  He was completely shocked!  He said he had no idea what happened and was basically speechless.  Poor Ashlyn was sad because it's such a pain for her to have holes in her ears and the surgery was traumatic for her.  I was upset because the surgery cost a LOT of money and it didn't work!  So, we have to wait another month and go back and then decide what to do next...

1 comment:

  1. How frustrating about the ear surgery! I'm sorry about that. :( We also have small kids and picky eaters. What do you do? I'm sure there are worse things. :)

    ReplyDelete