Background 575

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Happy Anniversary!


10 years ago today, Johnathan and I were married in the Manti temple for time and all eternity. I am so thankful that I found Johnathan. I feel like we really compliment each other with our strengths and weaknesses. When we got married, I thought I knew who Johnathan was, and I thought we had a lot of similar likes and dislikes. Now that we've been married 10 years I can admit that I am still learning and that we are not all that similar. Sometimes he still surprises me with what he doesn't like and I still expect him to just tell me what he's thinking, instead of me having to pry it out of him.

I think that's what love really is though. It grows from being "in love" to something deeper and longer lasting. I've learned that a good marriage takes work. Both spouses have to be patient and think of the other more than themselves, which is hard. You need to support each other too.

Even though I thought I had it all figured out 10 years ago, I am happy to admit I was wrong for the better. I didn't know just how lucky I was to find someone who loves me no matter what my many weaknesses are, and who never criticizes them. He never complains either! Thank you for being so patient with me, for being such a hard worker, for your strong desire to help others, and for being such a wonderful father!

Thanks for the last 10 years Johnathan! I look forward to many more years together!



Here's some wonderful quotes on Marriage:

Cherish your spouse as the greatest possession of your life and treat him or her accordingly. Make it your constant goal to add to the happiness and comfort of your companion. Never permit yourself to let down in your affection, or your respect, or your faith in one another.
-President Hinckley

What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.
-George Levinger


The secret of a happy marriage is simple--just keep on being as polite to one another as you are to your friends.
-Robert Quillen

God didn't say that a woman was to be taken from a bone in the man's head that she should rule over him, nor from a bone in his foot that she should be trampled under his feet, but from the bone in his side, to be his companion, his equal, and his helpmeet in all their lives together.
-President George Albert Smith

Marriage is not an easy venture. It is largely a one-time-through, do-it-yourself project for the husband and wife. I repeatedly encounter the illusion today, especially among younger people, that perfect marriages happen simply if the right two people come together. This is untrue. Marriages don’t succeed automatically. Those who build happy, secure, successful marriages pay the price to do so. They work at it constantly.
-Dean L. Larsen

1 comment: